During the winter of 2021-22, the Sustainable Forestry and Land Retention Project surveyed stakeholders about opportunities for agricultural and forestry lands to be part of the climate change solution. This outreach was conducted in partnership with the NC Foundation for Soil and Water Conservation and funded through the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service’s Conservation Collaboration Grant with Virginia Tech.
The survey revealed significant gaps in awareness of and participation in an array of state and federal programs that provide technical and/or financial assistance to help landowners secure their families’ land legacy in an environmentally friendly manner. To help close this knowledge gap, the Sustainable Forestry and Land Retention Project has aggregated website links to seven key programs that provide assistance. The links are listed below.
- North Carolina Agriculture Cost Share Program
- North Carolina Agricultural Water Resources Assistance Program
- North Carolina Forest Development Program
- USDA Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program
- USDA Environmental Quality Incentives Program
- USDA Conservation Reserve Program
- USDA Conservation Stewardship Program