Hurricane season officially begins June 1. Roanoke Cooperative encourages member-owners to prepare in the spring.
“As a top-tier co-op, service reliability is in our mission,” said Jimmy Liverman, the co-op’s vice president of operations. “While we try to keep the lights on 24/7, outages do occur and are normal during hurricane season. We want member-owners to be prepared this upcoming season.”
Here are simple steps to prepare and stay safe this storm season:
- Outline a communication and evacuation plan for your family. If you have pets or any livestock, include them in your plan.
- Create an emergency kit that includes:
- Important documents sealed in a watertight plastic bag
- Enough non-perishable food, water, and medication for at least three days
- First-aid kit
- Battery-powered radio
- Extra batteries
- Personal hygiene items
- Extra clothes and blankets
- Food and other supplies for pets
- Connect with us on Facebook on Facebook at Roanoke Cooperative and Twitter at @RoanokeC to stay informed about outages and other storm information.
- Download our app by texting ‘Roanoke’ to 797979 and keep our outage reporting number handy: 1(800) 358-9437 or text ‘OUTAGE’ to 352667.
- Bookmark our live outage map at http://outage.roanokeelectric.com/#viewer-menu-parent to see a real-time look at power outages across our service territory.
- Sign up for local weather alerts. You can also visit ready.gov for tips on preparing for natural disasters, as well as real-time weather and traffic information.