AULANDER, NC – Roanoke Electric Cooperative is excited to share new efforts that allow member-owners to engage with their energy usage. The co-op now has a pilot program that allows the first ten member-owners who sign up for the Electric Vehicle Rate to receive a free charging station, free installation and a $1,000 incentive.
The co-op announced its pilot program that offers member-owners a discounted rate for charging their electric vehicles on Jan. 1, 2020. In addition to the new $1,000 incentive, member-owners get the following benefits when they sign up for the reduced subscription rate:
- Member-owners pay a flat fee of $50 per month for up to 450 kWh per month.
- The $50 flat rate compares to the nearly $185 it would cost to keep a 20 miles per gallon gas-powered car going for that same distance.
- Participating EV owners will have the added convenience of “re-charging” at home with a new charging station, valued at $1,700. Under the new EV Program, the charger will be professionally installed in homes, at no upfront cost to the member-owner.
“As your local energy partner, we are proud to join electric cooperatives across the state in announcing new sustainability goals,” said Curtis Wynn, the co-op’s president and CEO. “We are working toward net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 and a 50 percent reduction in emissions by 2030. EVs are becoming an important part of this mission. If you own an EV, we encourage you to consider charging at night and taking advantage of our special rate.”
The co-op is seeking electric vehicle owners in its membership to sign up for its pilot program. In addition to the incentive, member-owners will gain exclusive membership into the EV Ambassador Leadership Program. Members of the Ambassador Leadership Program:
- Participate in EV programs and marketing events
- Become an opinion leader for the program & provide testimonials
- Promote the program via social media accounts
Those interested in learning more about electric vehicles are encouraged to contact the co-op. REC staff will share more detailed information about how EV’s work and the cost-savings potential. Member-owners may also schedule a test drive in the co-op’s electric vehicle.
Roanoke Electric Cooperative provides service to 14,500 members in Bertie, Hertford, Halifax, Northampton, Gates, Perquimans and Chowan counties. Chartered in 1938 to provide light and power to farms, the co-op today serves as an engine of economic development and provides educational, recreational and community assistance services to enhance the quality of life of its member-owners throughout the diverse communities it serves. Roanoke Electric Cooperative is an equal opportunity provider and employer.