With autumn set to begin next Monday, Sept. 23, Roanoke Electric encourages you to take note of theses efficiency tips to help you save money and energy throughout the season:
- Examine seals on doors and windows to check for air leaks
- Caulk and add weather strips as needed to seal in warm air and energy savings
- Examine outlets for air leaks, and where necessary, install gaskets around the outlet to prevent drafts
- During the day, open curtains or drapes on south-facing windows to enable sunlight to heat your home naturally
- Close curtains or drapes at night for an added layer of window insulation
- Use a programmable thermostat to set the temperature as low as is comfortable when you are home (ideally around 68 degrees).
- Turn the temperature down 10-15 degrees for eight hours, when you are asleep or away. According to the Department of Energy, this small adjustment can help you save approximately 10 percent a year on heating costs